Notes/Domino is like a good wine: getting better over time
Version 1.0 of Notes was first available on December, 7th 1989. The most recent version is currently available as version number 14.
There are not many software titles available these days that are still in the market since their first appearance.
You can still open your in 1989 created version 1.0 databases using the most recent version. The terms Lotus Notes, IBM Notes are all talking about the same. Now it is HCL Notes. HCL bought the software from IBM. It’s Notes the client as part of the server named Domino.
Notes is the client software talking to the server Domino
HCL is selling the client server groupware platform in two parts:
- Notes is the client software available for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android
- Domino is the server component with the built in web part
Notes/Domino – what can I do with it?
There are quite a few definitions out there. A good source is Wikipedia. Please refer to their article about the software to find out more.
Other resources on the web
- Notes Domino Platform – What is Notes/Domino and what is special about it?
- OpenNTF: Download open source applications or software snippets for Lotus Notes/Domino
- Why has Lotus Notes survived?
- Planet Lotus (the news aggregator for all things Notes/Domino)
- Official Website of HCL for Domino
- Official Website of HCL for Notes
- Missing a feature? Vote for it at the official products idea site named aha
- Having problem? Search the official knowledge base for answers that perhaps only you do not know